At Essential Sailing, we love the history, culture and cuisine of the places we visit almost as much as the sailing to get there. Our Captain’s Blog brings you a taste of what to expect from our luxury crewed sailing holidays around the French and Italian Riviera. In this blog we prepare a classic French recipe
How to Make Crepes Grand’ Mere
In the Catholic tradition, eggs are forbidden during the Lenten fast so eating pancakes became a way to prepare for the abstinence that lay ahead.
In the English-speaking tradition, this happens on Shrove Tuesday, the last day before the start of Lent. But the French start a few days earlier, on Candlemas, la Chandeleur or fête des crêpes. So why not give yourself a delicious treat and try this authentic French recipe.
- 1 kg of plain flour
- 8 eggs
- 1 litre of milk
- 500ml of water (add some more if the batter is too thick: 1 litre max)
- 250g of sugar (reduce the amount of sugar if you don’t like your pancakes too sweet)
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- Put the flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the eggs, oil and salt.
- Add the milk gradually. Then add the water.
- Pour a bit of oil into a frying pan. Use a clean cloth or kitchen paper to spread it around the base. Pour in some batter and swirl around the pan.
- Cook each side until golden. You can flip your pancake of course!
- You can eat your pancakes straight away or reheat them later by melting a bit of butter in the pan first.
Richard Reeves is the founder of Essential Sailing and if you have been inspired to relax on a luxury sailing holiday, why not make this idyllic world your reality.
For access to our special deals, discounts and promotions, please complete the form opposite; and, when you book your holiday, we will fit you out with our FREE Essential Sailing designer sailing jacket.